With so many options out there, it’s hard to choose which antivirus program you want to keep you and your Internet-friendly machines safe. The following programs and apps are some of the best out there. If you’d like to learn more about each one, we’ve included some helpful links to assist you in your research.
Norton Security (originally Norton Internet Security) has been a household name in the United States security suite market for over a decade. With robust features that offer its customers security such as email spam filtering, firewalls, identity theft protection, phishing protection, as well as performance tuning, it’s no surprise that it remains one of the most popular antivirus programs out there.
- Easy to use
- Consistently one of the best, most comprehensive programs out there
- Offers protection for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android
- Free 30 day trial
- Excellent customer service
- One of the more expensive options (starts at $39.99/year all the way up to $99.99/year)
- Can bog down hardware performance when in the middle of a scan
- No secure web browser
AVG Internet Security
Where Norton might be one of the top-of-the-line paid subscription antivirus programs, AVG is one of the contenders in the free program market. While, admittedly, it doesn’t have all the bells and whistles as some of its premium competitors, it’s still one of the best-rated antivirus programs out there and ideal for people on a budget who need protection but are happy without the extra features.
- Free versions for Windows, Mac, and Android; premium versions available
- Offers a PC tune-up application to help make your computer run faster
- Fast and lightweight makes scanning a breeze
- Has extra tools such as VPN and a web security extension
- Few features compared to rivals
Free version lacks VPN, firewall, and password protection
Bitdefender is easily one of the stronger antivirus programs on the market, despite its lack of brand recognition compared to the likes of Norton, Kaspersky, and McAfee. Nevertheless, this program is great for people who need plenty of security features, from individuals to business owners and large corporations.
- One of the fastest scanning antivirus programs on the market
- Very low system impact
- Tons of security features including anti-phishing and fraud; work, movie, and game modes; safe browsing; and online banking protection, just to name a few
- Intuitive interface and easy to use
- Standard Bitdefender package only supports Windows
- Full system scans can be slow, especially the first one
- Expensive, per-device plans
Another free option, Avast is a comprehensive antivirus suite that not only scans your devices but keeps your home network (whether wired or wireless) secure as well. With options to mute notifications without sacrificing security, it’s great for gamers or people watching movies or making presentations who don’t want pop-ups in the middle of their activities.
- Free versions available; premium versions are cost-effective
- Do Not Disturb mode is useful to cull notifications during full-screen usage (like when playing video games or watching movies or shows)
- Compatible with Windows 10, Mac, Android, and iOS
- Some packages include SecureLine VPN for more secure browsing
- Limited automatic scanning options
- No firewall in free version